Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day 8

It's officially past half way into my trip, but I still have another week left to go, and I'm glad. I'm finally starting to get used to the heat. It's about 95 here during the day, with lower humidity to make for a 98 deg heat index. I have barely used the air conditioning since my arrival in Mexico; even on the coast I slept with the balcony door open. I love this here. It chills down to around 75 in the evening. The trick is finding the right side of the block in the shade while you're walking around town here.

I haven't taken any pictures in the last two days or so, I've been feeling less of a tourist.

Catriona sent her friend off the to the hospital this morning, and found me in my room around 9am. The hotel is so small, and I know most of the patrons here, so I feel quite safe leaving the door open during the day as long as I'm in the room or around the pool.

We started walking around to find some breakfast. We happened upon a place called 'La Sabie Virtud' and poked our heads in. They had a sign for breakfast for $65 which is reasonable. Inside, we found about a dozen tables, all set very classy with display dishes. The interior was decorated very clean and contemporary with a splash of retro. Turns out they just opened last Friday. Catriona had crepe poblanos I believe, and I ended up with huevos mexicana. Big mistake. Should have ordered something else, hers was amazing, ended up eating about a third of it since it was pretty big for breakfast. Mine was boring in comparison. Another two espressos and two café americanos later, the tab came out to $150 which was a great value as far as I'm concerned.

Catriona talked with the chef for a bit, as he used to teach cooking classes, and Cat is still looking for chefs for her cooking school.

The prior night we were talking about spotting gay couples. On the way out of this restaurant, I asked 'ok, the chef and the guy other guy running it?' She says 'Oh defiantly! did you see how he practically started to fly away while standing up?' with the hand motions and everything. I got a laugh out of that :)

Headed back to the hotel where and gathered my clothes for another load of laundry. Hopefully I can go a day this week without doing laundry now that I'm starting to sweat less. Spent a few hours relaxing and tanning in the pool with the computer catching up on work and such.

Catriona finished up with some emails and work, and sat with me by the pool for a while. I hosed off in the shower and she later invited me to see a collection of pictures she had on her Mac, from her two horses to her polo friends, the school in Puerto Morelos she organises charity work for, to other rodeo events, etc. I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

Catriona met up with some friends for riding, I picked up my laundry and grabbed a bite to eat across the street.

Today has been a great day, and it's only 8pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment