Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 1

I know I'm not THAT young any more, but apparently the party on the Hotel strip doesn't get done until about 5am. That's when a few of the others came stumbling in. Didn't bother me too much as I was up and ready to go 4am. Managed to sleep in until 7:30. One of our hosts brought us a simple breakfast around 9. It's included with the price of the bed. Musk melon with yogurt, a piece of toast and some scrambled eggs, Mexican style. Couldn't complain!

I'm beginning to realize that showering here is a lost cause. Pretty much as soon as you're out, your sweating again. Ah well. Dropped yesterdays two sets of clothes off at the front desk for laundry. $17 MXN / kilo. Figured it might need them this weekend and it would cost quite a bit more in the hotel zone.

Left around 10:30am to go find this ecological park which is on the map. Probably should have taken a taxi, but decided to walk. Gave me an oppertunity to work off the food and beers from last night. Wound up being about 45 minutes to get down there.

The park was quite nice, but pretty much struck out on exotic wildlife. The route through the park is about another 1.5km, but there was thankfully quite a bit of shade on the walkway along with a gently breeze. None the less, half way through there were no longer sweat 'spots' on my shirt, it was now completely uniform.

They had a little water pond area where I could view little turtles bathing and swimming around. There were also some interesting & noisy birds. Also, I didn't know they made black and white ducks!

From México



There appeared to be a cage of some sort for some kinda monkey thing, but they must have been on vacation.

After leaving the park at an alternative entrance which wasn't on the map, again I made the mistake of not hailing a cab. By this time my palms are constantly wet and my fingers swollen from the heat. It's half-past high noon now. Another 50 minutes and 1.5L of water later, back at Parque de la Palapas near the Hostel where I know there's food.

Do-It-Yourself alternative to razor wire:
From México


A Coca Light and 5 tacos later, I'm feeling like mil pesos! (Thats $76 USD at current exchange rates)

From México


Back in a shady corner of the courtyard at the hostel, I'm watching the tiny lizards run around me while finishing the entry.

I believe it's time for a cervesa and some sun on the roof. I spent a lot of time this summer working up a base tan, but I have a long ways to go before I reach Mexican!


All of the photos will are being uploaded to my Picasa album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tt53149/Mexico?feat=directlink

1 comment:

  1. oh yeah, I ate the rest of your guacamole from the fridge out of sheer retaliation.

    Ole !

    ReplyDelete