Well, never managed that sun on the roof. I was screwing around with Picasa and sync'ing and uploading pictures, but that's ok. I probably didn't need it after the walk I had earlier.
Grabbed some tacos for afternoon snack at a local place. It's next to the first joint I found and something told me I had to go back. A stack of pork and onions on a vertical skewer rotated in front of a charcoal oven. It looked and smelled magical. They basically shave some off after it's done cooking, similar to gyros and call it 'tacos pastor'. Only I can't post the picture now since I took it on the on-board memory of the camera 'cause I left the flash card in the netbook. Sorry, Jess, you'ld love this one. Biggest downside of this place was they insisted in explaining everything to me in their broken english including tossing the english menu at me. I honestly have more trouble ordering off of an english menu here since I know what I like, and I know what it's called in spanish. It's like trying to order "tacitos" or "flautas" off of a Taco Bell menu. Everyone else started in spanish, and I recall telling a different waiter, "umm Español. ¿Nosotros estamos en México, no?" (Spanish. We're in México, right?)
Went back to grab a shower again. Threw on some new clothes thinking it´s going to be cooler now since the sun is going down. Yea, not really.
I found some live music in the park near the hostel, and found an empty bench to listen. 13 guys on the stage jamming. It's nice to hear something other than American music, which they typically play in most of the restaurants. I guess they want us to feel at home or something.
Four school girls and a guy in their uniforms wandered over, and one sat next to me. I couldn´t understand their conversation over the spanish giggles but I basically got the idea they were mocking me. I just smiled and ignored them. They left as I was trying to remember the spanish word for 'fun' to ask them if they were having fun at/with me. Never got it, but now I know it's 'diversión.' I was a little annoyed for a bit, but the music was nice.
Approximately 5 minutes later, the same group re-approached me and I smiled as if "here we go again" however, this time the girl who previously sat next to me was thrown in front by her friends and she asked me something. Pretty much all I got was 'cigarro' so I promptly offered and lit her and her friend a couple of smokes. I broke out my best (lousy) spanish and we conversed briefly about the music, where I was from, why I was here alone and her 'loco' friends who pushed her into asking me in the first place. This amused me greatly.
I wandered around and found a stand selling a 'salsas en mocajete' cooking magazine which I had to buy for $25 pesos. Like I cook.
There's plenty more dribble about tonight, and hopefully I can remember it, but I need to hit the sack. Tomorrow will be interesting.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seriously, for a smoke? how. adorable.
ReplyDelete…—
I want some vid, if you can of something other that tejano (sp.?) jam band. I dont know if you're seeing more of the "ecqudorian-esque" flute bands, or horns and guitars mainly, but bring back a little vid-magic of any good stuff you hear/see.
Oh. i could go for tacos right now. or some sun. or some walking to get some tacos in some sun. —none of which I have access to.
Spose I'll just settle for an apple, my 6 pm class, and a walk down to thirsty thursday.
oh. wait… how will I get home ?!