Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 3

Wonderful sleeps after last night! Opened the door and turned down the A/C to 27 deg C (79 F). Tropical.. For some reason they insist on setting the A/C at 21-22C which is freezing in México, especially when you've been out in the sun and heat.

Breakfast at 8:30am, all you can eat at the hotel for $95. Had plato fruta (fruit plate), Omlette with everything t.hey offered and Huevos rancheros which are eggs sunny-side-up over tortillas with special tomato sauce. Yum!

The hotel has a bus stop literally in front, so we grabbed one to Mercado 28 which is a respectable tourist trap downtown. Take (route) R-2 or R-15. I had not been there yet and thought it might be cool.

Definatly a trap. My mother learned what a 'Méxican minute' is, sucked into a shop selling silver bracelets and necklaces. I'm sure the prices were not bad or at least negotable, but not in the mood for jewlery.

From México



We did manage to negotiate on Méxican vanilla, though. I was told last May that I should have brought some back since my mother was running out from bottles she bought 20 years ago, and we found some. I reminded her as we walked by a place. The big bottle started out at $180, but we ended up talking him down to $160 MXN for two large bottles, one clear and one dark.

Paige (sis) found a dress for the impromptu wedding tomorrow. She brought pretty much nothing besides a swimsuit and a dress to wear out on the town and wanted to wear something nice. It's cute, made by the Mayans presumably, and we talked him down from $420 to $300 which isn't terrible for a hand-made cotton dress.

From México



We needed food by this point. Although there were a few resturants in the market, we wanted to find somewhere a little less touristy. We decided against walking back to the Route-15 bus stop at Walmart, but to walk through the residential areas and make out way back to 'Parque de las palapas' next to the hostel I stayed the last two days. Houses in this area ranged from mediocre to 'oo you have money'.

Mom took a picture of the outside of the hostel, and I showed them the little park with the satellite dish art and we walked through the big park which was fairly deserted in the afternoon.

From México



Lunch was at a place down the road right off the main drag 'Tulum Ave' where the three of us had 6 beers, 2 waters and a substancial lunch for $270 MXN while listening to 'Metallica' black album (about twice through).

From México


Note: the prices in the Spanish menu were about $5-$20 MXN less than in the equivalent English menu, and I called him on it. Apparently, if were ordered in English, we were paying for their English lessons.

Grabbed a 6-pack of beer, some water and caught the R-1 bus back Tulum ave to the driveway of our hotel. I'm getting better at this, didn't fall off the steps this time.

Baked in the sun for a few hours with sis while mom enjoyed the A/C.

Tried to catch up on work from the beach, and replied to an email. The touchpad is fairly sensitive on the netbook and when you're typing, it's easy to hit it on accident and move the cursor around, and hard to read in the sun. Managed to leave the character '1' in the 'Bcc' area of my reply which (thank you Exchange) translated to '1st shift production' aka nearly everyone in the company. I missed a tele-conference this morning regarding something I was involved in. His reply "No problem ... a few questions... blah blah... Hope México is treating you well..." My reply to pretty much the whole company started with "México is treating me great! I'm sitting on the beach on 5 beers and working on margarita numero dos,so take that into account on my answers..." Got about 15 random replies. Legacy.


Had dinner at the hotel and posting this from the bar on the beach again. Hope to rinse off and hit the clubs with sis in about an hour. Apparently nothing really happens 'till 11pm here!

¡Hasta amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment